Wednesday 10 June 2015

ethics, film and death


I tend to spend a long period of time immersed in the subject area of the film I'm making, developing as deep an understanding as I can of the context I'm about to enter into with a camera and crew. Along the way I've looked at Aries, Kellehear, Fenwick, Gorer, Kubler Ross and many more.  
One way that I'm coming at the ethical complexities and conceptual possibilities of the film is via some ideas gleaned from Emmanuel Levinas, Martin Heidegger, Gilles Deleuze and Vivian Sobchack, particularly Levinas on alterity and creative production.

I work in a very improvised and ethically complicated way. For me filmmaking is an open process, a way of being with others, and also a way of doing philosophy. 

I have two questions: How can film make utterances in terms of the unspokenness of death? How might filmmaker and subject visually confront dying and death, so that the outcome is perceived as morally justifiable in its gaze at what is normatively regarded as forbidden?

What I am setting out to do is conduct extensive observational filming myself and then schedule a five day shoot in August extending the actuality I have captured into constructed and choreographed sequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment